Tuesday 15 October 2013

Pursuit of Happiness: Finding Oneself!

Back in 2011

As the smell of old books lingered around my bedpost and the economic books under my pillow started making way for the previous year’s edition of RSM's (read Rolling Stones Magazines), winter had faded away and the sun had started greeting me earlier in the bed. Chipped wooden floor, torn out film posters, towering unused tea-cups and tea-bags and the covers of newly rented Dvd’s gave my room the ambience of a David Finch film set from the 90's. I was lazy, tardy, confused, angry and frisky most of the times and could be seen sporting long unkempt bed head and worn out sweats and shorts. I would wake up in the middle of the night and realise that I had been sleeping at a stretch for three continuous days. I would stay locked in the room for hours without any care for the outside world. Sometimes, I would step outside to realise that I had not been home for over a week and had been sleeping over at a friend’s place. My phone would have missed calls from weird unknown numbers and my music player would still be stuck on repeat, playing the same damn song it had been playing a day before.  I had no clue where I was heading and nor did I care.

Today


I haven’t slept in over 48 hours and have been working as a freelance copywriter, editing articles for an advertising and marketing firm based in Singapore. I have a meeting at 2pm with fellow film enthusiasts to discuss the concept of our next television episode and a research paper on the positive impacts of piracy to be completed. I need to meet film directors and producers for interviews related to my research later in the evening and need to go on a recce at night for the next week’s shoot. In the last one year, I have been the editor cum creative head of a college based annual magazine, the video editor/director for a college based film club. I have worked for an International students’ film festival and currently am heading the festival’s next edition. My entire next week is planned in advance and if you could see me right now, you would find me hitting the keys of my laptop real hard and staring at its brightly lit screen as if I am zoned out. I am writing this post for a blogging competition in the college and with 15 minutes for the competition to end I am still running a race against time. I can still be seen sporting worn out sweats and shorts and I still get missed calls from weird unknown numbers on my mobile phone. And yes, I still step outside sometimes to realise that I haven’t been home for days. I don’t have the time to think as to where I am heading nor does that bother me. So, what has changed in these two years, you folks may ask and to that I say. I am driven, motivated, creatively satisfied, possibly in the best shape of my life and most importantly happy inside.  In these two years, I think I’ve found myself, and boy do I care? Well, I leave that upto you to decide.


In the past two years, I followed my heart sincerely, made decisions that made me happy within and never gave in to procrastination. In another six months, I will be a Journalism and Mass Communication graduate and boy do I take pride in that. O yeah! *Smirks*

No comments:

Post a Comment